Monday, June 30, 2008

Free Motion Quilting... Check!

I can officially check that off my goals for the new year!

I wanted to learn how to do free motion quilting, and I finally did. I'm so excited about this! (Probably more excited than I should be.) Thanks to some very generous donations from my friend Jen and my mom (Muchas Gracias!) I was able to learn this new skill and whip up this cute little blanket for Dimitri. He loves blankets and this one is no exception. I just made a quilt sandwich out of two pieces of fabric and batting, nothing fancy, but it was just for practice. My stitches are not very even but the more I practiced the better they got. I just love the way it turned out. I can't wait to finish another quilt so I can try more free motion quilting.

Sophie loved it too. So much that she promptly kicked Dimitri off and took over the coveted new blanket spot. I had issues with the backing, the bobbin was pulling funny, but in the end I think it worked out okay. You can't really tell from this pictures but the white has a white snowflake printed on it. Gotta love the white on white. For the binding I used some blue that was also donated by Jen (thanks). I'm also getting better at binding, the more I practice.
We also went and saw Wall-E over the weekend. Yes, I am a total Pixar fan, or almost a Pixar nerd. It was super cute! Loved it and will definitely purchase it when it comes out on DVD. It gets an A++ from me.

Don't worry, that is totally me standing next to the life size cardboard cutout of Wall-E. Yes, I made Dustin take this picture, and yes the cashiers at the snack counter were totally staring. Wall-E!
Let's just say that a theater full of kids can make you think twice, or even three times, about having kids.

Mom... the five year rule, might be pushed to six. You can thank Pixar!

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

your quilting looks great! That's so cute that you got a picture next to the Wall-E sign...I've got to see that movie soon because I've heard such good reviews.

jacquie said...

Congrats Cami. Way to go! I need to do this...just jump in and give it a try. I've been putting it off for a long time!

Laurah said...

The quilt looks great! I've heard about that technique from my mom, who has tried it a couple of times. I think you did an awesome job for your first time!

Crafty Christina said...

I don't know what that quilt technique is but it looks great! The pic of you with Wall-E is cute. My kiddo wants to see it.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

your quilting looks great! Are you using your sewing machine or a frame?
Stitch regulated or not stitch regulated? your binding is so straight!
What an accomplishment!