Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cross Over Stitch Crochet Edging Tutorial

Remember way back when I showed you a receiving blanket with a new edging? Well, I'm finally getting around to posted a tutorial on this edging. Better late than never, I guess. I like to call this stitch the CW stitch, since I learned it from my Aunt Carolyn. But I guess you could call it the cross over stitch, since it looks like little "x's" crossing over each other.

I really love this stitch, probably it is my new favorite! It is super simple and extremely fast! One single round and your done!I learned this pattern by watching, without a pattern to read, so I'm going to do my best to make one to share with you all. I hope it make sense. If not, you can always email or leave a comment and I'll do my best to explain. You can visit my previous crochet edging tutorial here for instructions on how I make my receiving blankets and what type of yarn, needles, etc. are necessary to make one. Now for the pattern~

First - SC in any stitch to get started. Next - Chain 3 (or chain 4 if you'd like a picot edge to be a little more distinct. Or if you would like to just have the cross stitch with out the picot edging, skip this step. You can always add a second round with a shell stitch, puff stitch, or any other edging that you wish).SC in the previous stitch.Next - skip the next stitch and SC in the next stitch. Chain 3. SC in the previously skipped stitch.Continue doing this until you have gone all the way around. SC, chain 3, SC in previous stitch, skip next stitch, SC in next stitch, chain 3.... you get the idea.

It should look something like this.A view of the back.That's it! Easy peasy! Super simple, super fast, and super cute! Happy crocheting!

10 comments:

Lisa S. said...

I have always loved that pattern. My mom calls it the x and o pattern because of the x's and o's it creates. Love the blanket you did it on.

Crafty Christina said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for putting up such clear directions. I love the way the cross stitch looks on the flannel blankies.

Rebekah said...

thanks for posting this! I still want to make one of these flannel receiving blankets

Pam said...

I've been looking for a how-to on this stitch for over 3 years. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! My Grandma taught me that stitch. I have been trying to remember it for years! Yours is so clear and easy to understand.

cpamom said...

What size hook did you use?

Unknown said...

I want to put an edging on a small baby afghan crocheted with yarn. Do you think this stitch would work well in yarn? I really like the stitch and forgot how to do it, your instructions are really admirable

Anonymous said...

I am going to try this border on a baby blanket I'm weaving on a floor loom.

Anonymous said...

I just love the x’s. Could you have x’s with chain on top of the blanket and next round have maybe shells?

Anonymous said...

Do you have a video tutorial of this one?