Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Did It! I Finally Did It!

I finally learned how to knit!

Thanks to my friends Jen and Rebekah for all their help and advice. And thanks to this website.

I was really inspired by all of the knitting Rebekah was posting this past week that I just sat down and tried to knit again.

3218244506_625f10e87e

This was on my goal list for 2009 and I guess this was my year because it just clicked and I finally got the hang of it. I have been working on this all week, and this is how far I am. I didn’t say I was fast at it, but hopefully I’ll get faster the more I practice.

Do you ever have those moments when the light bulb just clicks on and you finally just “get it”? That is what happened and I have been so excited ever since.

I started simple with a garter stitch dish cloth. I didn’t have a pattern but I just casted on enough stitches until I thought it looked about the right size. Dish cloths are the perfect practice project. No ones cares if they look perfect because they are just going to be used for cleaning.

garter stitch

I even tried to do a few purl stitches. Can you see them there in the photo? Well, hello little Purl Stitches! Aren’t they just the happiest purl stitches you have ever seen? So happy to be different amongst all these knit stitches.

I’m happy for them. They make me happy.

Now I just need to learn to bind off.

Next I’m thinking of a scarf or a hat. Any suggestions for an easy beginner pattern?

Oh and Happy Birthday to my adorable niece, Anna. She is 2 and cute as can be! (I have a full post of her birthday celebration with us on our family blog)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Welcome to the knit side. Your stitches look so perfect. Here's my suggestions for easy beginner hats and scarves:

Grace beanie
http://www.knitwhits.com/other/grace.php

Bulky beanie
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/freeKnittingPattern_hat.asp

Also, a great book with tons of easy beginner patterns in the back:
http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Purls-Drunk-Divorced-Covered/dp/0757305911/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208206488&sr=8-1

Finally, are you on Ravelry yet? If not, you should sign up (http://www.ravelry.com).

Brenda said...

I need to try this again - the first time I tried a couple of years ago I failed miserably! I just couldn't get the hang of it! My grandma used to cut up strips of tulle and knit them for dish scrubbies - they worked really well!

Amy said...

Hooray! Doesn't it feel good to learn new stuff - especially stuff that's been on your list for a while. Good for you!

Patti said...

I just started knitting too. I use to knit before I crocheted, but haven't use a needle in 30 years so it's been a journey for me too.
I found your blog a couple of months ago,and have enjoyed it very much. I look forward to seeing all the wonderful things you create. Patti

Crafty Christina said...

Yay! Your stitches look perfect!

Rebekah said...

yay! I'm so excited that knitting finally clicked for you! Love the dishcloth and your stitches are so perfect!

Anonymous said...

yay! good for you!!! soon you'll be jammin with other patterns.

congratulations!

The Bookworm said...

wow, very nice! good for you :)

http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

Congrats! I've just taught myself how to knit too. I think I'm hooked. Enjoy.

Tanya said...

You give me hope. I have to go pick up "Knitting for Dummies" at the library for about the millionth time, I'm hoping that it will happen like you said; "just click".