Friday, March 27, 2009

Grandmother’s Favorite Dishcloth

One of the things (of the many) that really motivated me to finally learn to knit was this particular dishcloth pattern called Grandmother’s Favorite.  We received one of these for our wedding, hand knit by a friend, and it was my favorite!  That was until it was sliced with a knife and had to be tossed out (I won’t name any names, but it was tragic).

So naturally, this was the first dishcloth I wanted to make after I learned some knitting skills.  Well, I think I was a little too ambitious because I have not been able to stop making this pattern.  I just love it! 

3378833903_4dbe181ec2

This picture doesn’t include the two that I sent to Dustin (which by the way, he promptly gave away to the new neighbors so now I need to make more for our kitchen!)  That means I have made 7 of this pattern, with one more currently on the needles, in just over 2 weeks.  I’m not a super fast knitter so one of these takes me about two hours to complete.

3379676340_8da327be01

I have figured out that I can get two washcloths from one skein of sugar and creme cotton yarn.  So, I have been making one of the grandmothers favorite and one of a different pattern…you know, just to mix it up a little.  

The basket-weave dishcloth has also been fun to knit.  I followed a pattern that my friend Jen wrote up for me, but here is one online that is similar.  And I learned how to do a seed stitch from this pattern which is a bonus! 

3378825087_87ffc2c2e7 Isn’t that seed stitch just gorgeous!?  I love it!  (I love a lot of things it seems.)

3378827107_7ecf441f8b

The other pattern that I have been making is a slip stitch pattern called Darrell Waltrip.  I can’t seem to get this pattern to load online, so if you are interested, let me know and I’ll email it to you. 

3378818927_851d9a37e9

Since my craft stuff is still packed in boxes and waiting to be moved to North Carolina, I have been feeding my craft hunger with dishcloths and I’m loving it.  Of course, I can’t wait to have my craft room put back together and start sewing and scrapbooking again.  Hopefully that will be soon. 

9 comments:

Val R said...

I bought a crochet book on dishcloths recently...so many great ones waiting for me to try out! I will add your knitted patterns to the bunch too!

These are great and such good colors! I must have missed where you were moving...hope all goes well!

Crafty Christina said...

Those are great! I might have to try one. My needles and hooks have been much too still the last few weeks. This looks like a good project to start up with again.

Teresa p said...

Wow, you are cranking those out! I can usually only do one dishcloth and then I have to knit something else. I'm not a big fan of the super unstretchy cotton. BTW, when are you heading to North Carolina?

Rebekah said...

I love knitting dish cloths...I think they're going to be my summer outside project.

Love all the knitting progress that you're making :)

VICKY said...

Hola ¡¡ gracias por tus visitas, tambien visito tu blog, y me encantaron estos cuadros a palitos, un saludito desde PERÙ

Bison Girl said...

my bonus grandma (in-law) just game me a ball of dish cloth yarn and a pattern ... after seeing yours I think I just might venture into the world of making dish cloths. They are darn cute. And so useful :)

Gayle said...

I've just picked up my knitting needles for the first time in 20 years, and it's dish cloths I've been making. Love the Darrell Waltrip pattern you show here. Could you please email the pattern to me so I can attempt it myself?
Thanks so much,
Gayle in UT
dyeing2hook@msn.com

annemarie said...

I would also love the Darrell Waltrip pattern - thanks for offering to email it to us. Your dishcloths all look so yummy. a.haun@sbcglobal.net

ksleeger said...

I love the dishcloths you've done. They're some of my favorites, too. I've made the Darrel Waltrip cloth but never printed the pattern. Now it is not available online. Would you please email it to ksleeger@gmail.com


Thank you!