Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pile-Able Pups

My favorite little nephew just turned 2!  Which is definitely a good reason to knit him up a special present. I thought these adorable pile-able pups would be just perfect.  Fun for playing and stacking. Even though the patten calls for three pups, I only made two, since it was his second birthday.

I must admit, I really struggled with these guys.  Mostly just the seaming gave me troubles.  It was my first time seaming and it was definitely a good learning experience.  Using the mattress stitch worked perfectly to hide the seams but it was a major pain to figure out.  Once I got the hang of it, finishing up these guys was no problem. And from now on, I can use the mattress stitch if I need to.

The only changes I made was to switch to a 16" circular when I picked up the stitches along the side. It was a little easier to manage than the DPN's at that point.  I also did a stripe patten on the belly of the pup.  The yarn I used was just enough for one pup, but only because of the stripe on the belly. 

Overall, this was a fun learning experience project. Something small and quick (if you already know how to use the mattress stitch).  And just enough of a motivator to get me back into the swing of things with knitting.
How adorable are the little tails?
Raverly Page 
Pattern - Pile-Able Pups by Anna Hrachovec
Yarn - Lily Sugar N' Creme Solids in Yellow Sun, Green, and Bright Blue
Needles - Size 5 US DPN's and 16" circulars
Safety eyes and nose from Joann's

7 comments:

mamaw said...

These are the cutest ever. EVER!

Julie said...

so adorable!! they are amazing, and I bet he loves them!

Abby and Brenda said...

Oh my goodness, these are sooooo cute and professional looking! I would never guess someone actually knitted them by hand. Great job!

Crafty Christina said...

These are so stinkin cute!!! I love them! Gotta agree, I am not a great seamer when it comes to my knits.

Jess Allen said...

Cami, those are adorable! I love the little details and the fun colors. What an awesome gift!

alpinekleins said...

pileable pups! So adorable~ Where on earth did you discover them??

Kristin

Nadiake said...

they are so cute! i love them! great blog !