Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Beauchamp Cowl - Malabrigo Style

This is actually a FO of 2011, but I'm just getting around to posting about it. There are still a few FO's of 2011 that I have yet to show. Hopefully, this will start to slow down now that the Holidays are over.


First off, this was my first time working with Malabrigo Silky Merino and I'm hooked. This yarn is a delight (although, how could it not be since it is Malabrigo) to work with and is very soft, and well, silky. Love it! There will definitely be more projects in Silky Merino in my future, for sure!

I originally cast on for this cowl back in August 2011, but then my hubs and I purchased our first home (YAY!) and life was pure chaos for a few months.  Of course, I was too excited to start this project that I didn't take the time to do a swatch.  I cast on for the DK weight version.  When I got about 10 rows into the pattern, I realized it would be way too small and wouldn't fit over my head. I was working at the gauge necessary for the fingering weight version. So I frogged it. UGH! Lesson learned. 

I re-cast on for the fingering weight version with a 132 sts.  I also changed the order of the colors, which I'm glad I did. I really like the teal feather color and wanted the cowl to have more of it. After that, I was off in a flash.  Such a great pattern and fun to see it emerge. I really like fair isle knitting, it helps to keep things interesting.
After finishing it, I did a quick blocking on it, but I don't know if I would do this next time (*if I used Silky Merino again) because it looked pretty good when it was finished and didn't really need a blocking. It did grow quite a bit upon blocking (about 22" around), which is nice because it gives it a little more drape than the pre-block item had, but not so good at the same time if you want the cowl to stand up.
We've had a extremely warm winter this year (I think I've only worn my coat probably 5 times this season) so unfortunately I haven't gotten much use out of this cowl, yet.  The few times that I have worn it, I've been extremely happy with it. It is extremely warm and so soft... and incredibly cute, too!   

Raverly Page
Date Started - 8/9/11
Date Finished - 12/3/11
Yarn - Malabrigo Silky Merino in Natural, Spring Water, and Teal Feather
Needles - US 6, 16" circulars
Pattern - Beauchamp Cowl by Laura Chau
Mods - Used the fingering weight version of the pattern for this cowl, although Malabrigo Silky Merino is more of a DK weight yarn.

1 comment:

alpinekleins said...

Wow - that is so impressive - so gorgeous!